Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

‘Inappropriate’ Facebook post about Defence Minister

Started by RW, November 12, 2015, 01:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

MONTREAL—The Canadian military is investigating one of its members from Quebec after "inappropriate comments" were posted on Facebook about Harjit Sajjan, the new minister of national defence.

A spokesperson for the Canadian Armed Forces would not reveal the content of the message, which was reportedly quickly removed from the social media site. But in a statement, Daniel Le Bouthillier wrote that "racist attitudes are not compatible with military ethos and with effective military service."

The offensive comments appeared less than 24 hours after Sajjan — an observant Sikh who is a former Vancouver Police officer and a decorated soldier who served three tours in Afghanistan and another in Bosnia — was sworn in as defence minister in Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal government on Nov. 4.

A source in the department of national defence said the member of the military who allegedly wrote the Facebook post is a non-commissioned officer from CFB Valcartier, near Quebec City.

"We have had an incident in which a high-ranking member of military posted negative comments on a Facebook page about our minister," wrote Chief Warrant Officer Kevin West, the military's top-ranking non-commissioned officer in an email to troops on Nov. 5 that was obtained by Le Droit.

"It's totally unacceptable. We already deal with conduct problems on a daily bases in our ranks and it's our duty, and that of our leaders, to put an end to it immediately. I was made aware of this incident and to say that I am mad is not the word."

West's email to the troops was written in English and translated into French by the newspaper. In the message, West apologized for sending an English-only email but explained that he wanted to get his message out urgently.

But Le Droit reported that the unilingual warning apparently displeased some francophone troops and a complaint has been filed with the Official Languages Commissioner's office, which enforces breaches of the Official Languages Act.

Nelson Kalil, a spokesperson for commissioner Graham Fraser could not comment on the report or confirm whether a complaint had been filed because the office was closed for Remembrance Day.

The military statement explained that the individual's commanding officer who must decide what further action, if any, is required. Other disciplinary measures can include ordering the individual into counseling, a probationary period, suspension from duty or even a recommendation of release if the incident is deemed sufficiently serious.

This story made me cringe as it strikes me as being everything that is wrong with our mamby pamby, PC society.

People have a right to their personal opinions.  That right should exist outside of the workplace about the workplace and extend even further into fair comment about a political figure.

The language thing is laughable to me in its ridiculousness.  

Do we have nothing better to do with our time than bitch about things that are rather insignificant?

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/11/11/inappropriate-facebook-post-about-defence-minister-harjit-sajjan-sparks-probe.html">http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015 ... probe.html">http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/11/11/inappropriate-facebook-post-about-defence-minister-harjit-sajjan-sparks-probe.html
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "RW"This story made me cringe as it strikes me as being everything that is wrong with our mamby pamby, PC society.

People have a right to their personal opinions.  That right should exist outside of the workplace about the workplace and extend even further into fair comment about a political figure.

Do we have nothing better to do with our time than bitch about things that are rather insignificant?

:laugh:

Where's SCOUSE's avatar? Where's Mel? Where's Odi?

RW

SCOUSE's avatar got voted off the island.  I assume Mel is drowning in a bathtub of JD and Odi is probably at his desk writing new material in the form of sexual comments that make women want to puke.

I know you have a hard time with the concept with public comment vs private, but I forgive your myopia because you're just so darn cute!

acc_hugz
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

cc

Quote from: "the issue"This story made me cringe as it strikes me as being everything that is wrong with our mamby pamby, PC society.

People have a right to their personal opinions. That right should exist outside of the workplace about the workplace and extend even further into fair comment about a political figure.

1 ... 2 ... 3... Enter stage right - King P. C. Prog ... not to challenge the issue, rather only to obfuscate

Some things never change .. It's only November, but the snowflakes  are out
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Romero

Quote from: "RW"SCOUSE's avatar got voted off the island.  I assume Mel is drowning in a bathtub of JD and Odi is probably at his desk writing new material in the form of sexual comments that make women want to puke.

I know you have a hard time with the concept with public comment vs private, but I forgive your myopia because you're just so darn cute!

acc_hugz

Excuses, excuses...

Your political correctness is still political correctness.

RW

My political correctness is what exactly?  

You know Ro, if you have a problem with how this board is moderated, start a thread and we'll discuss it.  I prefer that to you hijacking threads that aren't related.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "cc la femme"
Quote from: "the issue"This story made me cringe as it strikes me as being everything that is wrong with our mamby pamby, PC society.

People have a right to their personal opinions. That right should exist outside of the workplace about the workplace and extend even further into fair comment about a political figure.

1 ... 2 ... 3... Enter stage right - King P. C. Prog ... not to challenge the issue, rather only to obfuscate

Some things never change .. It's only November, but the snowflakes  are out

HAHAHA

It snowed here today so I guess that's rather fitting!
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "RW"My political correctness is what exactly?  

You know Ro, if you have a problem with how this board is moderated, start a thread and we'll discuss it.  I prefer that to you hijacking threads that aren't related.

I'm only pointing out your hypocrisy!

Your political correctness is censoring, banning and hiding posts and posters you deem offensive. That's fine, but complaining about political correctness is pretty hypocritical when you're being politically correct all the time yourself.

Renee

Quote from: "Romero"

Your political correctness is censoring, banning and hiding posts and posters you deem offensive. That's fine, but complaining about political correctness is pretty hypocritical when you're being politically correct all the time yourself.

There is NOTHING PC about dealing with abusive posters or cleaning up or preventing the thread bombing that they perform. Obviously you are are of the mindset that just because this is an open forum that free speech reigns. Well this forum is someone's house and we are all guests here and we all have to abide by the rules of our host and if our host deems certain things offensive, they have every right to get rid of it.

Do you bring garbage over to someones home and throw it around like you have a right to? I would hope not because if you did to me I would beat the shit out of your little effeminate ass right before I threw you out into the street. Was that UN-PC enough for you?
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Is it my hypocrisy?  You realise a) I am not the only admin or moderator on this board and b) posters contribute to how this board is moderated.  Even in the land of the VFree Mel is constantly being banned and SCOUSE's avatar had been removed.  Are they hypocrites too?

It's not a matter of being politically correct but rather not allowing certain posters to run roughshod all over this board.  It turns people off and we have responded to that.  It's not hypocrisy to properly moderate a forum and be opposed to PCism.

And for the record, personally I don't give a fuck about neo-Nazis, rape apes and mental midgets with imaginary tourettes.  What I do care about is how those idiots affect the membership of this place.  I'm sorry you can't grasp that concept.  I still hold out hope that one day your grey matter will sort it out but I'm not holding my breath.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Renee"

There is NOTHING PC about dealing with abusive posters or cleaning up or preventing the thread bombing that they perform. Obviously you are are of the mindset that just because this is an open forum that free speech reigns. Well this forum is someone's house and we are all guests here and we all have to abide by the rules of our host and if our host deems certain things offensive, they have every right to get rid of it.

Do you bring garbage over to someones home and throw it around like you have a right to? I would hope not because if you did to me I would beat the shit out of your little effeminate ass right before I threw you out into the street. Was that UN-PC enough for you?

I wonder if he rides evs' ass for throwing me out every time she mentions free speech.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Renee"

I wonder if he rides evs' ass for throwing me out every time she mentions free speech.

I wonder if he rides evs ass about deleting Scouse's avie before we did.  :icon_wink:

But that will never happen because evs love him and he clings to her leg like the hair growing down from her big black Serbian bush.

OOps, I just realized I'm all out of PC talk. I hope you don't think less of me for it.  :laugh:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

RW

Probably not.

Anyway, what is going to take before we start pushing for privacy on our social media pages?  If it is not open to the public, it should be considered private communication.  In that, I think employers should have no right to act on the information.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"Probably not.

Anyway, what is going to take before we start pushing for privacy on our social media pages?  If it is not open to the public, it should be considered private communication.  In that, I think employers should have no right to act on the information.

You can make a FB page as private as you want it to be. Unfortunately people either don't know how or they are just looking for their 15 mins of fame.